Saturday, September 17, 2005

Scenic pics from across the country

I tend to think that most people want to see scenic pictures instead of work pictures. The good thing is that I often take scenic pictures while I am working! Our National Forests are full of scenic places so, without much further ado, here's a few from places across the country where I have worked.
Actually, I didn't really "work" here in Zion National Park but, it was a working vacation. Somehow, I hit Zion at THE perfect time in the winter, when it was sunny and not at all hot there. I did have some troubles with the sun being so low in the sky at that time of year but, ya takes what Mother Nature gives ya.


I didn't actually work here either, but I did work in the Black Hills and had an hour to kill before my flight out of Rapid City. This natural rock formation is an irresistable picture magnet and I, like soooooo many other tourists, snapped this one. I rather like the diagonal motif and the intense black of the shadow.


OK, I actually WAS working in South Carolina when I took this picture of a nice beech tree. They generally don't have the bright colors of a cherry or a maple but it did turn out quite nice with the backlighting. Fall on the Sumter National Forest was VERY enjoyable.


The woods of Arkansas in the Ouachita (pronounced Wa-shi-tah) National Forest were awfully thick with hardwood trees. Somehow, this picture exudes mystery, making you wonder what is just out of sight. This is a rather young stand with mixed shortleaf pine and hardwood trees. My Mom told me that my grandfather used to come down here from their home in Illinois to go hunting and that the family almost ended up moving here, at one point.


While surveying for sensitive goshawks (a inner forest hawk and a "species of concern" for the Forest Service) in the Black Hills, I happened upon a doe with newly born twin fawns. It looks like they had just been cleaned by mama after their birth and could barely even stand. The standing one tried to take a step but, it was too much and eventually both laid together, waiting for me to leave and for mama to come back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I saw your blog addy on your irc quit message. Great pics, I'll be back!

9:07 AM  
Blogger gP said...

nice pics, keep on posting. love the scenary. its beautiful. do visit me sumtimes.

cheers,
-gp-

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home