Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Ansel Adams was a manly stud hiker!

In an attempt to retrace Ansel Adams' boot prints, I ventured forth to visit the site of one of his most famous photographic prints. Last Sunday, I travelled to Yosemite Valley, on one of the hottest days of the year. I arrived at the Happy Isles very early, at 7 AM. Climbing upward, at the northern-most end of the John Muir Trail, I was invigorated by my planned destination.

I had wandered up the Mist Trail to see both Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls many times in the past. The falls appeared to be still gushing, after a very wet and snowy winter. I wasn't disappointed by the two falls and the misty trail didn't slow me down at all. The pictures below show the raw power of the water and the early morning's light.


Atop Vernal Falls, I left the Mist Trail and prodeeded to climb away from the trail, upward to the north in the direction of Half Dome. While there was no trail, I used my "woods sense" and mountaineering skills to avoid chapparal brush, live oaks and steep, smooth granite slabs to take the most direct route to my incredible destination. There was very little evidence of other human's passing up this route to the western base of Half Dome.

This wide angle view of Nevada Falls doesn't really show the scale and perspective of the Merced River's grandeur. The sounds of Vernal and Nevada Fall's power were inescapable, booming through the valley.

Only by using my powerful zoom lens, can you see how really large and awesome these falls actually are. The trees below are huge, but quite dwarfed by Nevada Falls.


The zoom lens really brings things into perspective when you see the couple standing above the falls at a trail sign. Click on the picture below to see how powerful my zoom really is. All three Nevada Falls pictures were taken from the same spot.


I'll post the rest of my adventure later but, just remember that this expedition did not turn out at all like I expected. As I write this, I still feel the aches and pains of two days ago. Yosemite, sometimes, has a strange and brutal way of teaching humility. <GRIN>

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home