Wednesday, November 29, 2006

From the mountains to the coast of Oregon

As I almost always do, and like a good boy, I go up to Coos Bay to see my Mom up in Oregon. I haven't had much of a chance to take pictures lately so, this was a very welcome diversion. With all the rain they've been getting up there, I was lucky to have a few hours of decent weather to go out to Shore Acres, a former timber baron's private grounds donated to the State of Oregon. The coast up there is both rugged and dramatic, offering lots of photo opportunities.


I happened to wander out from the parking lot, along with my Mom, to find these curiously eroded rocks that look very much like sea sponges. I think I could spend several hours taking "natural abstracts" using these rocks.


The relentless waves generated from violent Pacific storms pound the coastline century after century. The truly big waves are an awesome sight as they challenge the bluffs for dominance, only to wash back into the ocean. People have stared at the waves for as long as there have been humans along the coastline.


Let's not forget the power of the wind, as well. This Sitka spruce tree has somehow managed to stay rooted in the face of the wind, the waves and the sea's saltspray. Isn't nature wonderful?!?


We finally explored the botanical gardens of Shore Acres, which is famous for its Christmas lights this time of year. Usually, we all go see the lights but, the weather did not cooperate this year. There's approximately 300,000 lights, with some of them ingeniously animated through the work of talented volunteers. My Mom does some volunteer work here, now and then. She's also going to participate in a Christmas song celebration on the grounds.

This picture below caught my attention with the multitude of branches in this grand old pine. Pines tend to want to dominate by shading out all the other trees but, this one has taken it to the extreme, with an umbrella-shaped crown of branches heading in all directions.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home