Friday, February 16, 2007

Ski Bare....errrrr.....Bear

I went up the hill to Bear Valley Ski Resort to get some more skiing in. If I want to "profit" on my season's pass, I'd better start getting up there on a regular basis. The snow was quite good and it wasn't very cold except for a persistant north wind, gusting up to 40 mph, at times. Luckily, it died down as the morning progressed. Unfortunately, my boots were giving me a problem, as I am still breaking both the boots and my feet in. Lack of circulation just doesn't go well with skiing. I felt I skied very well, and as agressively as I am used to but, the pain and fatigue were too much for my lazy and aging body.
I took my camera up on the slopes with me and did some experimentation. I set my digital camera into movie mode and attempted to take digital video of what my skiing looks like through my eyes. Scorcese and Spielberg have nothing to fear from my directorial efforts. In order for me to film while skiing, I had to hold the camera in one hand, the two ski poles in the other hand and try to ski without the benefits of pole plants, essential to perfect form and balance. On the steeper, upper-most parts of the runs I filmed, the camera swings wildly from side to side and isn't easy to watch. As I get down to the flatter areas, the image stabilizes and you get a better view of what skiing is like. It was fun! I'll try some more on another day.
I did find time for some still pictures. This one below is looking southward, towards the northern boundary of Yosemite National Park. As you can see, the High Sierra is a rugged and foreboding place that beckons to the pioneer spirit in some of us.


This other picture is the view looking northward, into the equally rugged Mokelumne Wilderness. I can honestly say that I could ski that slope across the canyon and would gleefully do it if there was enough snow and a road or chairlift serving that face. This particular canyon is merely a medium-sized one for the Sierra Nevada.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs.ZigZagMan said...

Those views just might be worth breaking a leg for. I tried skiing, I dont have the guts or the grace for it. I would suggest a harness for your camera for the videos. I'm sure you can improvise something:)

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home