Thursday, March 20, 2008

Zionic Bliss, Part II

If you haven't read the first part of this story, you'd better scroll down to the previous entry and start from there.
.
The rest of you were left up in Refrigerator Canyon to gawk in adoration of nature's most detailed masterpiece, Zion National Park. The terrain in Refrigerator Canyon is so rugged that even the smallest of side canyons can be impassable to humans. The hike is so magical that you think it's almost a part of Lord of the Rings.
.
In this picture below, the trail goes switchbacking up to gain the ridge I was standing on. It forks at Scouts Lookout and the lefthand fork goes around the top of the side canyon to the right. The trail has big dropoffs on both sides until it reaches the far end of Refrigerator Canyon in this picture.
.
By the way, this picture was enhanced with a Photoshop filter, Poster Edges.


Along the way, you're treated to cliff views with amazing patterns and arrangements.


Here's another Photoshopped cliff picture in Refrigerator Canyon. I'm always drawn to those forlorn, but defiant old pines on the cliffs.


At Scouts Lookout, you can take the "trail" to the top of Angel's Landing, seen below. I chose to go farther up towards the West Rim but had hoped to be able to do it on the way back down (or at least, that's how I planned it on the funky map). There's a narrow fin where the "trail" goes and some rather steep rock before it starts to level out on top.


I decided to zoom in on the scariest part and saw quite a few people going up and coming down. I can definitely compare it to the Half Dome cables in Yosemite. I did see some cables embedded into the rock on part of the route. Next time I come back to Zion, I will come back and do this trail. I really like how this pictures shows the "exposure" part of hiking in Zion.


Next posting will take you up to where the white "slickrock" meets the red cliffs. I took nearly 3.5 gigabytes of pictures on this one day. Lighting was difficult so I did some "bracketing" to see how the camera captures scenes with lots of shadows and sun

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,
I do love exploring your world from the comfort of my living room. It's especially nice with a glass of Harrell Family Vineyards Meritage 2003. BTW, Chris Harrell's MySpace is not what you have linked to. And as Mom would say, "Please be careful, son!"
Much Love,
Your Bro, Gary

3:47 PM  
Blogger Larry Harrell said...

Good to see you've found my latest adventure, bro! I did fix the link to Chris' music page.

Of course, I KNOW that you'd come with me on one of these expeditions if there was any way possible. We can't help but be what our genetic code forces us to be. I tend to think that we were explorers throughout time.

And rock-rollers, too!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Escuela para todos Luz ONG said...

Feliz año nuevo, contanos del lugar donde estás como funciona la integración de niños especiales en la escuela común

FELIZ NAVIDAD

ALE

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home