Saturday, November 29, 2008

New DSLR pics from Yosemite

My new Olympus E-510 Digital SLR was unleashed in Yosemite Valley at some of my favorite secret spots. The fall colors were still in force and the weather was gorgeous. When I arrived at my first destination, I was like a kid in a candy shop. Unfortunately, the auto-setting on the camera tended to wash out the bright white highlights of Yosemite's legendary white granite. Even with Photoshop, it is difficult to restore washed-out highlights.


Below is a very minor example of how those highlights are overexposed. The contrasty blues and whites of Yosemite make it tough. This picture below is an example of how my camera eye continues to improve.


I'm always looking for those unusual "natural abstracts" people seem to enjoy. This one fills the frame with interesting stuff.

The fall colors were still quite potent with the yellow oak leaves hanging around. The backlit leaves of the hardwoods were a welcome contrast to the blue skies, gray granite and green conifers.


I've always found it difficult to show how truly big El Capitan is. On top of the cliff behind El Capitan are 75 foot tall trees. That gives you some kind of idea of the immense mass of granite overseeing Yosemite Valley.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kyle Harrell said...

Love the upside down El Capitan. Thanks.
-Kyle

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home