Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Redwood forest

My brother Ken and I took a short hike in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, in the Santa Cruz mountains. The intense green of spring here made for some good pictures. Here's one of the nice hardwoods that inhabit the park.
.

Within the park is this remnant of historical industry. Lime was mined out of the landscape and processed here before it was sent out to a growing building industry in the Bay Area for making mortar. The lime first had to be cooked in this kiln before it could be used in construction.


Here is some more maples framing a redwood tree. The lighting was very difficult and I again didn't have my camera set right to capture images with all those shadows and bright sunlight. I ended up with some blurry pictures in the darker shots.



Here is a good example of one of those blurry pictures. Funny how the exposure is good. This would have been a great picture, otherwise.



This is the overhead view of one of the lime kilns. Yes, I was on the wrong side of the safety fence, yet again.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home