Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Tioga Pass

I was itching to go to Yosemite and had intended to have an adventure on the edge of Yosemite Valley but, smoke from a local wildfire was too thick for good photography. Instead, I decided to go up the Tioga Pass Road (Highway 120) and see if the smoke was dissipating at the higher elevations. Even Tuolumne Meadows had some smoke so I went even higher.

Here is the view from the parking lot at Tioga Pass, almost 10,000 feet above sea level.


My destination was one of the Gaylor Lakes, mostly above timberline. I didn't use the polarizer on this shot, to see the differences. I do like how the reflection on the lake is enhanced when the polarizer isn't used.




I wandered out this and found some great spots, including this view of Mammoth Peak and the Kuna Crest. Even though these peaks are above 12,000 feet, they are not taller than Mount Dana and the Sierra Crest.


Also on that ridge, you can see the Cathedral Range, looking to the west. Named by John Muir, the Cathedral Range is an impressive polished granitic monument. Many Yosemite visitors never see the higher elevations of Yosemite.


On the way back down, I stopped off at Tenaya Lake to snap off some pics at this magical place. The lake was busy with picnickers, climbers, boaters and even swimmers in the cool water.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home