Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Plan Z, for Zion!

My last day in Zion was a glorious one, although the great conditions were in doubt just the night before. I was somewhat rested up after the 8.5 mile hike in Bryce Canyon so, I felt ready to hit the trails again. The mandatory Zion shuttle system was still in place for just one more day so, I found a place to park above the Visitors Center and got on the shuttle.
The light was very good and the angle of the sun was just right for some parts of this amazing canyon. I want to be up THERE!



Here at the lower elevations, cottonwoods and maples still had their leaves, and the peak of color hadn't arrived yet. This Sunday morning hike was idyllic, with plenty of friendly people hiking the many trails.



I had decided to take the relatively easy Emerald Pools Trail all the way up to the Upper Pool. Some people do not climb the last third of a mile of more difficult hiking. This is what they miss out on, as you arrive at the Upper Pool. I literally stood there and gawked at the immense grandeur of these regal orange cliffs.




While the pool isn't exactly "Emerald", it still provides a wonderful contrast to the arid cliffs and dry landscapes. I had almost 10 minutes of peace before rowdy kids arrived. I worried for their safety climbing on the huge, slippery, sandy boulders. (I also worried for the adults climbing on them who should know better.)



As it was time to head back down the canyon, my planning had worked out great with the sun at my back. You will always have the shadows at Zion this time of year but, finding ways to artfully use them is important. My next Zion post will show the pleasantly different views I saw on the other trail back down the canyon.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home