Saturday, March 11, 2006

Yosemite winter wonderland

Throwing caution to the wind, I ventured out yesterday in the fresh snow to Yosemite Valley yet again. The low snow here in California makes for some great photography opportunities and I really needed to add some winter pictures of Yosemite Valley to my portfolio. Increasing showers were expected throughout the day but, I decided to seize the moment. Luckily, they weren't requiring chains on Highway 120 into the Valley.
This first picture was all the way across the canyon and I used the zoom to get in close. Those huge trees are dwarfed by the giant rock cliff. The rich colors of the rock contrast well with the snow-covered trees.




While the light wasn't really good at this time of day for Bridalveil Falls, the backdrop had great light and blue sky, making this picture "work" for me.




After a few stops in the western part of the Valley, and without much in the way of good picture taking opportunities, I went up to the Wawona tunnel view, expecting to wait for an opening between the light snow showers. The icicles around the entrance of the tunnel intrigued me, so I explored the chance that there might just be a picture there.




Below is a shot of what I saw when I arrived at the tunnel view parking area. Storm pictures can be nice and this shot has a bit of mystery to it. I've always been a little wary of taking pictures at places like these. All too many other photographers take this very same shot. It's nice but, not really one that will get me noticed in the photographic world.


Ansel Adams is well known for his photography, and specifically, for his Yosemite work. He was known to wait for days in a particular spot to get those perfect conditions for his masterpieces. While I wasn't prepared to go to those great lengths, I was ready to wait for an hour of two to capture this vista. Amazingly enough, it only took 10 minutes for the clouds to break and the sun and sky to shine bright. I used the wide angle lens to grab as much of this incredible view as I could. Half Dome is still barely just out of sight but, I was VERY happy with this gift from the gods.



Being that I didn't take my laptop along, I used up most of my digital storage space by noon and decided to head back home in advance of the coming storms forecasted. They, sure as hell, did come in and there's probably now 18 inches of new, fluffy powder snow on top of what you see in these pics.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home