Friday, February 23, 2007

Fresh scans!

This first one is yet another of my friend Euell's and myself's excursions. We climbed alongside a roaring Horsetail Falls in Desolation Wilderness to get this view of Pyramid Peak.


Moraine Lake in the Alberta Rockies, near Lake Louise, just HAS to be one of the most picturesque places in the world. The lighting conditions there weren't too good but, I had to make do with what natures provided me with. I've been trying a little bit of "tweakage" on my scans to see just what I can and can't do. This one I just couldn't seem to improve that sunny peak enough to make a difference.


Now, here's a picture that never needed any "tweaking". This view of the Sierra Nevada and the Owens Valley from high in the White Mountains is dramatic and, again, is an example of the "Third's Rule". One of these days, I'll post a picture of the next morning's crystal clear view of the entire southern Sierra Nevada.


This part of a slide caught my eye and I wanted to see if I could zoom in and make a new picture of the people on Half Dome's cable ladder. This one you're going to want to right click on the picture and select "Open link in a new window". It was certainly rather intimidating when I first stood here and took this picture.


This last shot was a glorious morning back in March of '95. I had just stayed overnight on top of Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park. The fresh snow was still on the trees and the hustle and bustle of everyday life was gone in favor of the wind, the sun, the snow and the sky (and the occasional belching roar of a shuttle bus 3000 feet below).


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs.ZigZagMan said...

I just cant pick a favorite...

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous views, Larry. Your photographs are so well selected and framed. Like looking at a large format glossy coffee table book. One can feel the cold crisp mountain air in the lungs, too, and feel the cold red nose.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really anonymous, Larry

9:55 AM  
Blogger feralhiker said...

Very nice pictures, I looked through the blog and liked a good many of them. Like you, I've resorted to scanning my 35mm shots; I have a digital camera but have older shots I want to share.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I notice none of them involved forestry practices. Those aren't quite a scenic as rock and ice, yet that is where most of life exists. Or did.


Yaak

4:02 PM  
Blogger Larry Harrell said...

Thanks, feralhiker and Mark for looking at my pics. I take it you found my blog from the Gristmill site.

Mark, there are probably a dozen forestry pics or more on the whole of my blog. Fortunately, there aren't any of clearcuts or "forest destruction", as some like to label forestry projects. Here in California, the Forest Service hasn't had ANY clearcuts since the early 90's. We also banned the cutting of HUGE trees.

As you can see from my pictures, I love the outdoors as much (or more) than any "preservationists". I like to consider myself a "true environmentalist", who will do what it takes to restore "unnatural" ecosystems.

Yes, today's forester is more like an ecologist than a "timber beast".

6:02 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home